DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
Department of Physics surfaced into sustenance in 1965 as a junior college, imparting education only up to pre-degree. In 1979, as UG course in Mathematics was launched, Physics proffered as subsidiary subject. With the introduction of Statistics and Chemistry main subjects, Subsidiary Physics was implemented to three main subjects viz, Mathematics, Chemistry and Statistics. When shift system was introduced by the University in the academic year 1980-1981, our department became full-fledged with faculty strength rising up to 18. In 2000 March, pre-degree course was de-linked from all Arts and Science Colleges in Kerala State. Nevertheless in the same year, P.G Physics course was started with a sanctioned student strength of 10. Physics Alumni commenced on 23/06/2006 in our college.
• Department has been able to produce privileged results for University examinations. The consistent result is the feedback of the total effort from students, parents as well as faculty members.
• Department has implemented two prizes in acknowledgment of achievements by students at UG and PG levels.
1. Prof. P. Ayyappan Pillai endowment award is given to the student who secures the highest marks in Physics for UG Physics Core Course.
2. Prof. J. Stanlo Jones endowment award is given to the student who secures the highest marks in Physics for PG Physics Core Course.
• A well-maintained Library of 500 books
• Department has two well equipped laboratories for both UG and PG courses.
• Seminars on sophisticated functional physics and IT technological awareness programs are organizing annually.
• Periodic field trips, Study Tours, Industrial visits are as usual running in mid semesters for both UG and PG students.
• Festivals like Onam, Christmas, special days like Teachers Day are celebrating passionately by both students and faculty members expressing the feeling of cohesion.
• Alumni meeting is partying with colours annually.
• A special highlight of our department is that at least once a year, get together of all retired members of faculty and non-teaching staff is managing effortlessly. The ideas exchanging past and present faculty members helps for the overall progress of the department. Former Faculty Details:
• First Head of Department of Physics was Prof. P.Ayyappan Pillai preceding by Prof. E.Vaidyanatha Iyer, Prof. K.R.Sam Raj, Prof. J. Stanlo Jones, Dr. Lilly Iype, Dr.M. Snehalatha, Smt.S.Iris Russel, Smt.Helen Prameela Rani J.S, Smt. C.P.Susan Prameela.
• Former Faculty members were Prof. P. Ayyappan Pillai, Prof. E.Vaidyanatha Iyer, Prof.J.Lalithambika, Prof. K.R.Sam Raj, Prof. J. Stanlo Jones, Prof. P.Pramila, Prof. V.K.Padmini, Dr. Lilly Iype, M.Selvaraj, B.Valsala Milka, Prof. R.Johney Moses, S.Kumari Geetha, N.Jose, Smt.S.Iris Russel, Dr.M.Snehalatha, Dr.M.S.Baburaj, Smt.Helen Prameela Rani J.S, Smt. C.P.Susan Prameela, Dr. B.H.Selin Joy.
Succeding Faculty Details:
• Current HOD is Lt.Dr.G.J.Shyju. Existing Faculty members are Lt. Dr. G.J.Shyju, Smt. Sheena T.V, Dr.D Shiney Manoj, Dr. Sajikumar A.C, Dr. Jisha V.T ,Dr. Dipunadas C.N.
" Adopting transmission to reflect the person inside you ”
Prime aim of our department is to display the inclusive progress of students expanding their knowledge, generous respect to elders, encouraging to involve in various academic activities thereby gaining new skills as well as guiding to find their direction to hold brightness in their future life through Physical science. “Physics teaches people to accept reality with awe and admiration not to mention the amazement and joy that come with it”- Lise Meitner
Copyright @ 2020 Christian College, Kattakada | Crafted by Catchacloud Technologies.Pvt.Ltd