- Resmi L
Dr. (Ms.) Resmi L.
Dept. of Botany
Christian College, Kattakada
Title: Genome classification of Musa cultivars from Kerala
|2004-2011||University of Kerala|
|M. Phil in Advanced Botany||2003-2004||University of Kerala|
|MSC in Genetics & Plant Breeding||2000-2002||University of Kerala|
|(BSc in Botany)||1997-2000||University of Kerala|
AREA OF ACADEMIC INTERESTS
Plant biotechnology, Plant Molecular biology, Genetic diversity and Population structure Analysis; Abiotic Stress tolerance in crop plants
ACADEMIC BODIES/ DUTIES
- Member, Board of Examination, Kerala university
- Ecoclub Member, Christian college, Kattakada (2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14)
- The Debating Soceity, Member, Christian college, Kattakada (2016-17)
- IQAC Member (2017-18)
- Special skills in plant tissue culture, isozyme analysis & molecular marker techniques
- Experience in polyploidy breeding and cytological analysis.
- Expertise in morphological, biochemical & molecular characterization of plant accessions
- Expertise in STMS analysis & population structure analysis tools
- Proficiency in using bioinformatic and statistical softwares.
- Expertise in three dimensional modeling of proteins
- Expertise in RNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, primer designing, gene expression analysis
- Expertise in Real time PCR analysis
RESEARCH/ ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
January 2008 to till Date
Designation : Assistant Professor in Botany
Institute : Christian College, Kattakada
FUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Project title – IDENTIFICATION OF CANDIDATE GENES FOR DROUGHT TOLERANCE IN BANANA (Musa)
- Funding agency – UGC, New Delhi
- Scheme – UGC Research Award
- Amount – 3 lakhs
- Period – 2 years (04.02.2014 to 03.02.2016)
BOOKS & CHAPTERS
- Genetic Diversity Assessment of South Indian Musa cultivars. Trends in Biodiversity: Floral, Faunal and Ecological Aspects. Edited by Sobti R. C., Jaiswal K. and Mishra S. Pages 159-171. Narendra Publishing House, NewDelhi 2016. ISBN-978-93-84337-65-0
- Resmi L and Nair A. S. 2007. Plantlet production from the male inflorescence tips of Musa acuminata cultivars from South India. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 88: 333-338.
- Resmi L and Nair A. S. 2011. Differential effect of cytokinins in the micropropagation of diploid and triploid Musa Int. J. Integ. Biol. 11(1): 35-38.
- Resmi L., Ratna Kumari, Bhat K. V. and Nair A. S. 2011. Molecular characterization of genetic diversity and structure in South Indian Musa Int. J. Bot. 7 (4): 274-282.
- Resmi L and Ashalatha S. Nair. 2012. Morphological and molecular classification of Musa genome groups. Proceedings of the National Seminar on Biodiversity – its conservation for sustainable future. Pp. 83-98
- Resmi L and Aswathy G. 2012. Allelopathic effect of aqueous leaf extract of Neem on seed germination and seedling growth of Vigna radiata in solid waste leachate soil. National Seminar on Biodiversity – its conservation for sustainable future. Pp. 99-118.
- Resmi L and Anju S. Vijay. 2015. Allelopathic Effects of the Leaf Extract of Hevea brasiliensis (Muell. Arg). and Quisqualis indica on Seed Germination and Early Seedling Growth of Vigna radiata (L.) R. Wilcz. International Journal of tropical Agriculture. 33(4): 3711-3717.
- Resmi L. and Aswathy G. 2015. Treatment with Aqueous Leaf Extract of Neem Enhances Seed Germination and Seedling Growth of Vigna radiata on Solid Waste Leachate Soil. International Journal of tropical Agriculture. 33(4): 3719-3725.
- Resmi L., Aswati R. Nair and Ashalatha S. Nair. 2016. Population genetic structure and diversity analysis of South Indian banana cultivars. Journal of Plant Breeding and Crop Science. 8(1): 1-12.
- Save Our Earth for Future’. World Environment Day Celebrations. Sponsored by KSCSTE June 5, 2015. Govt. UPS, Pothencode
- ‘Online Resources for Plant Transcriptome Analysis’. August 18, 2015. National Workshop on Real time PCR and its Applications. Department of Botany, University of Kerala.
- ‘The Story of Ozone Hole’. World Ozone Day Celebrations. Sponsored by KSCSTE, October 3, 2016. Govt. UPS, Thengumcode
- Chaired a session on Genetics and Plant Breeding in the International Seminar on New Frontiers in Cytogenetics & XIII Conference of the Society of Cytologists & Geneticists (SOCG) held from 15-17 December at Department of Botany, University of Kerala
- ‘We & Our Environment’, World Environment Day Celebrations, Sponsored by KSCSTE June 7, 2017, Govt. UPS, Thengumcode
- ‘Go Green For a Better Tomorrow’. World Ozone Day Celebrations. Sponsored by KSCSTE, September 16, 2017. Govt. UPS, Thengumcode
SYMPOSIA & WORKSHOPS
- Presented a paper “Morphological and Molecular evaluation of selected diploid South Indian banana cultivars”. 18th Kerala Science Congress, 2006 January 29-31, Thiruvananthapuram
- Presented a paper “Isozymes as molecular markers in in vitro regenerated banana cultivars”. National Symposium on Biotechnology of 21st Century, 2006 February2-3, Fatima Mata National College, Kollam
- Presented a paper Isozyme analysis in micropropagated diploid and triploid banana cultivars from South India. 94th Indian Science Congress, 2007 January 3-7, Annamalai University, Chidambaram
- Presented a paper Genetic diversity assessment and identification of genome specific markers in triploid bananas and plantains (Musa) from Kerala. National Conference on Banana, 2007 October 25-28, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu.
- Presented a paper, “Population genetic structure of banana cultivars from Kerala”. International Symposium on Genomics of Crops, Medicinal Plants & Microbes. 2011 May 29-31, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram (Best Paper Award in the area of Crop Genomics)
- Presented a paper “Comparison of RAPD and STMS markers for the classification of Musa cultivars from Kerala”. National Seminar on Recent trends and future prospects of Biodiversity and Conservation. 2012 March 15th-16th, Sree Narayana College, Punalur, Kollam.
- Presented a paper Morphological and molecular classification of Musa genome groups. National Seminar on Biodiversity – its conservation for sustainable future. 2012 March 27-28, St. Thomas College, Ranni.
- Presented a paper “Molecular phylogeny of banana cultivars from Kerala”. International seminar on World Bioheritage concerns over climate change with special reference to Ethnic vegetables. 2012 September7-8, Department of Botany, S N College, Chempazhanthy, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Presented a paper “Genetic diversity assessment of South Indian Musa cultivars”. International symposium on “Biodiversity: Status, Utilization and Impact of Challenging Climatic Conditions”. 2014 October 30-31. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (First in oral presentation competition in female young scientist category & Gold medal)
- Presented a paper “Morphological characterization of Musa genome groups”. National Symposium on Underutilized and Wild edible plants of India-‘Future Crops’. 2014 December 10-11. Department of Botany, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Presented a paper Transcriptional Upregulation of APX genes in banana under drought stress. Annual Conference of Marmarangal & Regional Seminar on Emerging Trends in Conservation Biology-Botanica 2015. 12-13 February, 2016. Department of Botany, SN college, Chempazhanthy (Best paper Award).
- Presented a paper “Downregulation of Aquaporin genes in banana under drought stress”. National Seminar on Current Trends in Life Sciences. February 10-12, 2016. Department of Biotechnology, Government College, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Presented a paper Sequencing and expression analysis of drought responsive genes in banana. National Conference on Genomics and Society-Prospects, Challenges and Concerns.2016 February 17-19. IU-CGGT, Department of Biotechnology, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Presented a paper Gene Expression Analysis in Tolerant and Susceptible banana cultivars under drought stress. 1st International Agrobiodiversity Congress, organized by Indian society of Plant Genetic Resources & Bioversity International held from 2016 November 6-9 at New Delhi.
- Presented a paper Differential expression of expansisn gene under drought stress in banana. National Banana Festival, 17-21 February 2018, Thiruvananthapuram
- Presented a paper Micropropagation of Musa acuminata cultivar Chingan (AA). National Banana Festival, 17-21 February 2018, Thiruvananthapuram
- National Merit Scholarship 1995-‘96
- A. Abraham Memorial Gold Medal 2002
- UGC Junior and Senior Research Fellowships
- UGC Research Award 2012-14
- First Rank in MSc Genetics and Plant Breeding (University of Kerala) in the year 2002
- Young scientist award
- Best Paper Award in the area of Crop Genomics in the International Symposium on Genomics of Crops, Medicinal Plants & Microbes held on 2011 May 29-31 at University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram
- Gold medal and Young Scientist Award in the International symposium on “Biodiversity: Status, Utilization and Impact of Challenging Climatic Conditions” held on 2014 October 30-31 at Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Prof N. Ravi Award for best paper presentation in the Annual Conference of Marmarangal & Regional Seminar on Emerging Trends in Conservation Biology-Botanica 2015, organized by Department of Botany, SN college, Chempazhanthy, 12-13 February 2016.
- Discoveries/achievements in research
- Population genetic structure of South Indian Bananas
- Genbank sequence submissions (KT304328, KT304329, KT304330, KT275854, KT275855, KT275856, KT275857, KR262885, KR262886)
Profile : Female, 38, married
Nationality : Indian
Date of Birth : 10. 01. 1980
Current Location : Kallara/Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Name of Father : G. Rajasekharan Nair
Qualification : PhD
Languages known : English, Malayalam, Hindi
Hobbies : Reading
Kallara P O